Buying a used car is to some extent a lottery. The real fact is that 80% of car owners “twist” the mileage of the car before selling, because they want (and this isquite natural) to sell it at a higher price. That is why those who are at least somehow versed in cars try to pay attention to the numbers on the odometer in the last place, preferring to receive information about the real mileage from indirect sources.
HOW TO FIND OUT A REAL CAR MILEAGE: USEFUL TIPS FROM EXPERTS
It should be said right away that the presence of an electronic odometer is not a guarantee that it will have true numbers – craftsmen use Mileage Master devices and set the counter values necessary for the car owner. Therefore, it is worth knowing some tricks that will help determine the real mileage of the car – this will help during the purchase, and during operation, and with the possible further sale.
In many cars equipped with an on-board computer, it is not easy to” twist “the mileage, since the data on the kilometers traveled can be found not only on the odometer, but also in the logbook. It is in it that you can see that any problem is fixed, and the date, time and current mileage are indicated. Therefore, cars can be conditionally divided into three categories in relation to the real mileage:
- Released before 2000 years and domestic models – they are equipped with simple electronics, and it is impossible to access the logbook, you will have to look at indirect signs;
- Released after 2000 – they have on-board computers installed, and you can always see the fault log for several nodes, respectively, and the mileage will be real;
- Cars of the premium segment – in them, data on breakdowns are recorded in several copies, but a professional scanner is required to gain access to the logbook. An interesting point is that when the mileage is twisted in such cars, the magazine is also cleaned. Therefore, such cars (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes) should be bought only if you have an authorized dealer’s service book.
How to find out the real age and mileage of a car
Many experts will confirm that many parts of a car can be a hint in order to find out the real mileage of a car:
- Brake discs – their the resource is 100-120 thousand km, so by the production you can judge whether the real mileage is indicated or not;
- Windshield – do not pay attention to scratches and chips, you need to look at the glass marking, as it indicates the year of its release;
- Salon – just look at the state of the upholstery, armrests, buttons. Despite the fact that such little things are easy to change, no one will change everything;
- Pedals – they also wear out, after about 50-80 thousand km the drawing is poorly visible on them;
- Headlights and seat belts – the year of manufacture is also indicated on the headlight housing and at the bottom of the belt;
- Body geometry – in particular, the driver’s door, which begins to sag a little after 100 thousand kilometers.
Naturally, this is not a complete list of indirect signs by which you can determine the mileage of the car, but based on it, you can more or less accurately find out whether the seller is lying or etc.