Today crossovers have become no less popular than sedans, as they combine the off-road capability of an SUV and the comfort of a sedan. But many motorists are stoppedfrom buying by the question of the economy of cars of this class, since they are heavier and more powerful. In order to choose the most economical crossover, cars of this class can be conditionally divided into three categories in terms of engine volume – 1.0-1.6 liters, 1.8-2.5 liters and 2.5-4 liters.
Crossovers with engine displacement 1.0 – 1.6 liters
There are more than a dozen similar crossovers on the market, moreover, in terms of their technical characteristics, they are very similar. But among them the most economical ones can be distinguished:
- Mini Cooper Countryman is a neat and small car, made in an unusual design and equipped with a 1.6-liter engine, thanks to which the consumption during city driving will be 7.4 l/100 km, and in a mixed one – about 6 liters. It has a manual gearbox installed, but you should be prepared for a rather high price;
- Citroen C4 Aircross – it is produced on the Mitsubishi ASX platform, but with a characteristic French design and an improved 1.6 liter engine. The consumption of this model is 7.5 l/100 km in urban mode, and 5.9 l in mixed mode;
- Skoda Yeti is a crossover with a 1.2-liter turbocharged petrol engine. Thanks to the 6-speed transmission in the urban cycle, it consumes 7.8 l/100 km, and in mixed mode – 6.4 l/100 km.
Crossovers with engine displacement 1.8 – 2.5 liters
Medium the category of crossovers is represented on the market by two dozen models, and it is these cars that are in demand among motorists. The most economical in this class are:
- Mazda CX-5 is a distinctive crossover equipped with a two-liter engine and a 6-speed manual transmission. Its consumption in urban mode is 7.7 l/100 km, and in the combined cycle – 6.2 liters;
- The BMW X1 is one of the most compact German-made crossovers, featuring a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine. Thanks to the manual transmission, it consumes 9.1 liters/100 km during city driving, and 7.1 liters in mixed mode;
- Audi Q3 is a small crossover of the Q family with four-wheel drive, which has a two-liter gasoline engine under the hood, which consumes 9.5 l/100 km in city mode and 7.3 during mixed driving. It is one of the most expensive in its class.
Crossovers with an engine capacity of 2.5 – 4.0 liters
It should be said that there are the most full-size crossovers on the market at the moment.
To make engines 2.5-4 in size economical , 0 liters, manufacturers use a variety of innovative technologies, and German manufacturers have been able to reduce consumption as much as possible:
- Mercedes-Benz ML – it uses BlueEFFICIENCY technology, which allows to increase the engine power and make its economical. The crossover is equipped with a 3.5-liter engine, working with a 7G-Tronic Plus automatic transmission, thanks to which it consumes 10.9 l/100 km during city driving and 8.5 liters in mixed mode;
- BMW X3 – a three-liter gasoline engine is installed in the crossover, working with an automatic transmission with 8 speeds. Consumption of a car – in city mode 11.2 l/100 km and 8.8 l/100 km in a combined cycle;
- Audi Q5 is a Q-series crossover, in which a 3.2-liter gasoline engine and a seven-speed S-tronic gearbox are installed, thanks to which the consumption during city driving is 12.3 l/100 km, and in mixed mode – 9.3 liters.